Jim’s career spans more than 35 years – working in program management, proposal management, product & technology development, business development, engineering, and defense acquisition. By blending his technical, business, and government operations experience, Jim helps clients create and execute successful business strategies to win federal government contracts – including capture and proposal management, business development, communications with government leaders, supporting product-development strategies and translating government requirements into technical performance characteristics. He has a current Secret Clearance with the Department of Defense.
- Government Business Development Strategy & Implementation
- Defense Acquisition & Program Management
- Win Strategy & Capture Management
- Proposal Management / Writing
- Technology Commercialization
- Market Research & Intelligence
Significant Client Achievements
More than $10B in client contract wins, including …
- $2.6B Defense Transportation Platform
- $1.2B Textile Technology System
- $500M Soldier Weapon Technology
- $500M Defense Expeditionary Support System
- $377M DoD Range Services Contract
- $177M Defense Tactical Equipment System
- Assisted Client Merger / Acquisition
- Facilitated New B-to-B Client Partnerships
Government Business Development Experience
- Office of the Secretary of Defense
- Departments of the Army, Air Force and Navy
- US Marine Corps
- US Special Operations Command
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of State
- Department of Energy
- Department of Health & Human Services
- Multiple Major US Prime Contractors
- Various US Academic Research Institutes
- Several Federal Senators & Representatives
- Founder of J Tierney Associates LLC; a Defense & Homeland Security Consulting Firm
- Director, Defense Business Development, TIAX LLC; a Technology & Innovation Company
- Director of Government Affairs & Business Development, Defense Business at Arthur D. Little, Inc.; a Management & Technology Development Consulting Firm
- Deputy Product Manager Soldier Support, US Army (now PM Force Sustainment Systems)
- Force Provider System Manager, US Army Materiel Command
More About Jim
Jim is a graduate of the US Army Management Staff College and the Defense Systems Management College (Advanced Program Management Course), Ft. Belvoir, VA. He received a Master of Business Administration from Babson College, Wellesley MA, and a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from Northeastern University in Boston, MA.
He is a Level III Certified Acquisition Professional in both Program Management and Systems Planning and Research, Development, and Engineering under DAWIA.
Before founding J Tierney Associates, Jim led successful careers in both private and public organizations. He was Director of Defense and Homeland Security Business Development for TIAX LLC, a technology and product development business serving commercial and government clients. Jim leveraged an extensive network and knowledge of the military market to establish and maintain relationships with government clients and prime contractors. He led activities ranging from lead generation, proposal management through contract award and customer relationship management across a wide range of technical specialties and provided guidance and insight on military acquisition and procurement matters to improve competitive positioning.
Prior to TIAX LLC, Jim was Director, DoD Business Development & Government Affairs, at Arthur D. Little, Inc. (ADL) a 3,000 person and $500M/year professional services company. Serving in this dual role, Jim led DoD business development activities while also representing ADL to federal and state level elected officials, especially in Defense and Homeland Security. Among his successes were leading a >$1M program for a major defense supplier that helped it win a US Army $2.6B procurement, and managing a support services contract with US Army Natick Soldier Center that resulted in more than $15M in annual revenue.
His public sector experience includes a variety of technical and leadership positions with the US Army. In his last DoD position, Jim established and led a Program Management Office, PM Soldier Support (now PM Force Sustainment Systems). As Acting Program Manager, Jim hired the initial staff, created the initial organization and internal processes, and provided executive-level leadership for over 50 Army programs. His purview included managing research and development, production, and fielding activities with an annual budget of over $100M. Jim’s leadership and briefings to congressional staff secured annual budget increases of 15% and set the stage for accelerated fielding of several Army systems.
Boards of Directors
Former member and past President, McAuliffe Charter School Foundation, Framingham, MA
Former member and past Chair, McAuliffe Regional Charter Public School, Framingham, MA